As a woman entrepreneur with anxiety, I often get asked how I’m able to do #allthethings so effortlessly. After I get a good laugh in, because let’s be honest, nothing is effortless, I usually follow-up with one small but mighty word: AUTOMATION!
The process of automating as much of my business as possible is a lifesaver, especially during those bad mental health days. If I sense that I’m going to be under a tremendous amount of stress soon or if I notice that I’ve been becoming more anxious, I can prepare for the storm that’s about to hit by simply getting as much done as possible today, as opposed to tomorrow.
I’m sure you’re wondering how to do that or you think my ‘strategy’ is common sense. Read on to learn some of the many ways you can automate your business.
Trust me when I say that you will regret not automating these things sooner the next time you’re falling into a depressive rut...
Top ways you can automate your business
- Schedule your social media posts ahead of time (!!)
- Plan out your entire to-do list for the week on Sunday
- Set up IFTTT to post a native photo to Twitter instead of just a link when you post to Instagram
- Set up IFTTT to post your Instagram photos to a specific Pinterest board
- Schedule a plethora of pins to go out each day via Tailwind
- Write your email sequences BEFORE the day you want to send them out and schedule them to go out automatically (!!!)
- Turn on an auto-response to your Facebook Page messages that redirects inquiries to your email
- Schedule your blog posts ahead of time (!!)
- Use your email marketing system to automatically send freebies to your subscribers
- Use your email marketing system to tag or separate your subscribers based on their interests
- Install Grammarly into your web browser to avoid silly grammar mistakes
- Link your scheduling software to your Google Calendar so you never miss an appointment AND you’ll avoid becoming double booked when all your systems are aligned.
Shall I go on?
Basically, automation is the bomb diggity and I actually had to pause and think really hard about all the things I have automated because I’m so used to the systems running that I truly forgot about the many ways I use it!
Automation is the ultimate goal-crusher
Now, I know I said that these automation strategies are a tremendous help to entrepreneurs with anxiety, but these strategies can still be a lifesaver if you don't have anxiety.
Perhaps you’re a busy momma who is trying to tackle a side biz while raising a toddler and slaying it at her corporate office. Or maybe you’re a dog daddy and all you want when 5pm hits is to cuddle up next to Rex and binge-watch your favorite Netflix show.
It doesn’t matter what situation you’re in - automation will save you time, energy, and money!
Yes, it saves you money too! Most of the automation services out there are free, so why pay a VA to do the nitty gritty work when you can set up a month’s worth of social media posts in an hour, simply hit PUBLISH, and watch the magic happen?
Now that you’ve got all these ideas buzzing around your head, I’m sure you’re looking for an action item. Where do you start? What do you do? Ahhhhh!
Below is the step-by-step plan to start automating your Twitter posts:
- Create a Hootsuite account (It’s free, yo!)
- Link your Twitter account to your Hootsuite account
- Add a “Scheduled” Stream
- Add a “My Tweets” Stream
- Compose your first tweet in the text box on the top of the screen
- Click the calendar icon under the text box
- Choose your desired date and time
- Click Schedule CONGRATS! YOU’VE SCHEDULED YOUR FIRST SOCIAL MEDIA POST!
It may seem like the tiniest step ever, but once you start blocking off time to schedule days, weeks, or months of content, you start to see the amazing time-saving effects automation has on your business.
I recommend scheduling some time out of your day to brainstorm social media posts. Think about overarching content ideas - not word-for-word posts. Then, once you’ve compiled your ideas head over to Hootsuite and let those ideas inspire dozens of tweets!
If you want even more bang for your buck, reposition those ideas into Instagram captions and start scheduling your Instagram posts as well. It can all be done in Hootsuite, so utilize your time wisely and do all you can while in that platform!
I can’t wait to hear what part of your business you began to automate, today! Yes, I said today! Start implementing these ideas now and report back with your results!
Marissa Pane is a life coach for entrepreneurial women with anxiety who are ready to implement smart marketing strategies into their business so they can gain the freedom to take care of themselves again while their business continues to thrive. Her passion for mental health began in 2012 when she started her recovery from anorexia, major depression, and generalized anxiety disorder. You can find more about Marissa and her mission on SPIESFitToFight.com and inside her Facebook community, Decaf Doers: A Collective of Ambitious Women With Anxiety.
Set actionable goals
Get an 11-page workbook on how to set actionable goals in 4 effective steps, designed just for you.
You will also join my newsletter, which will be full of productivity and time management tips.